Friday, August 17, 2007

Second Oncologist

Kev is on his way from Ohio. There's so much to talk about and decide now.

He met with Dr. Skinner in Ohio today. I talked with her by phone. The treatment is essentially the same as what was outlined here in Lafayette, making some assumptions for what stage his cancer is determined to be after surgery.

We both like her attitude about his treatment. She listened when he told her how much he enjoys his work, she encouraged him to work as much as possible, she offerred a plan to attempt to make treatment there work with me here in Indiana, she examined him (OK, not his favorite part of the day, but it bothered me that the oncologist here said 'I avoid these and pelvic exams as much as possible, I'll read what the surgeon says after he examines you.' I didn't feel like she was sparing Kevin another unpleasant exam as much as she was sparing herself. It bothered me a lot.)

Kevin says the facility is completely different too. Larger, more spacious, state of the art equipment, a support staff who manage to be pleasant and approachable without stepping into being intrusive.

Oddly, though, he came out of the appointment convinced that we have to do it all in Lafayette. He feels like I will be giving up too much to come to Ohio, be too alone. His boss is willing to let him work from Indiana for the months of chemotherapy so the work issue is addressed.

There is more discussion to be had--I want him in the best possible place for treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: