Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Life Lesson

Cancer is a great teacher. I've learned another life lesson already.

Good friends do what you can't.

Kevin is staying through until Tuesday morning. We have appointments to meet the surgeon and oncologist on Monday.

I think we've worked a little bit of normal in around the cancer conversations. The yard is mowed, the gardens weeded.

We've sat together and filled out enough paperwork to equate a book. I guess it is a book. Kevin's Medical History. After living life with one or two doctors on the string, he suddenly has a half dozen new ones and every office wants it's own set of paperwork.

Kevin is still trying to come to terms with feeling as well as he does versus this potential killer they say is growing inside him. He occasionally tries to slip in the "do nothing" approach.

I remind him that, courtesy of Dr. Mahadgen, we have full color pictures of the beast within.

Pathology came back and confirmed what we already knew. It's cancer. They won't "stage" it until it's examined after surgery, but it's definitely cancer and large.

It was good to go to Mass together today. Good to see and hear from friends, good to know they are remembering him in prayer.

Because I still can't do it. I'm numb. Or just plain pissed off. I'm not sure.

But I really value the prayers of our friends right now because I know they're doing something I can't get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: