Saturday, August 25, 2007

Prayers versus Plots

Kevin is sleeping fitfully and I am here in his room. It's been a long night but went ok. He is awake every hour or so. His surgery pain is manageable thanks to the nifty self administered IV they allowed him to have late last evening, but he's feeling achy from being so long on his back. He would like a drink (not allowed) and is bothered by the various tubes and lines.

He's doing alright though. He's talking with the nurses when they ask questions and he knows the surgery went well.

He asked for his rosary a couple of hours ago. I watched as he struggled through the prayers, falling asleep off and on, losing his place but determined to complete the prayer. After the second decade I knelt by his bed and started to say the prayers with him. Many of our nights end with me falling asleep as we pray The Rosary together and this night was no exception. I feel asleep kneeling by his bed, with my head on the sheets. I woke up a little later to the sound of his very tired voice finishing the prayers and beginning to offer petitions of his own. He always remembers family and friends--known and unknown--who have been with us in so many ways. Then I heard him offer thanks and concern for those few, but significantly absent, friends who disappeared immediately upon learning he had cancer. The fear factor again, I guess. Anyway, hearing Kevin, as tired and weak as he is, ask the Lord to ease whatever burdens these friends carry which makes this time too hard for them was amazing. It was one of those moments I'll keep forever.


In many ways I would like to be more like my husband but, then, maybe we wouldn't "work" as well as we do. Kevin prayers for the Dead Doggers and I fantasize plots where we meet in Heaven and they call out to their long lost pet--only to have Fido take a leak on their leg before continuing on to romp off into the brilliant sunlight with me. Clearly, the downtime here is getting the best of me.

I'm probably going to want to call Father Dan and schedule an appointment for Reconciliation by the time Kevin gets out of here. Make sure he has a comfortable chair before we start, maybe bring him a six pack of some adult beverage to help him through it....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: