Saturday, August 4, 2007

May I Have Your Attention, Please...

Our different personalities came out yesterday in how we each reacted to Kevin's cancer diagnosis.

Maybe it's more a male/female thing than a Kevin/Lorri thing.

I headed into information gathering/planning mode. Hours later Kevin was still searching for the loophole in the diagnosis and determined to find a smaller solution than what we had already been given.

We had left the hospital, been to visit Kevin's internist, made appointments with oncolgist and surgeon and had lunch. I was driving on our way home.

"What if we just do nothing?" he asks. "I don't feel sick. I don't have symptoms. What if I just leave it alone? We'll just wait a while and see how it goes."

We've gone through this half a dozen times already during lunch.

He likes the ignore it for as long as possible method. In a handyman kind of guy approach, he's advocating an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" plan. He is still unconvinced that we are beyond the preventive maintenance range, beyond the "ain't broke" range and into the major repair point.

He tries again with "So? I feel fine. What if I do nothing?"

I slow down the truck to look directly at him when I answer.
"Then you'll die."

I think cancer and I have his attention now.

I like to have a plan in place. Now we can work on one that doesn't involve duct tape and bungee cords..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: