Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Another View

A few weeks ago I was in Ohio for a week and noticed a new building in town. Nice looking place. Kevin told me he thought it was a new cancer center.

I don't think either one of us gave it more thought than that. Interesting now to realize how quickly we dismiss things that don't fall within our radar, our needs and interests. And how quickly all of those perceptions about our needs and interests can change.

I hit the internet to research the place, The Boyd Cancer Center.

This morning I phoned Boyd Cancer Center and was impressed with their compassionate and helpful response; Kevin was returning to Ohio and I called to ask him to stop there first. Within an hour of my call they had a packet of information ready for him, had gotten his current medical history into their computer system and had the oncology care coordinator ready to meet with him. She gave him a tour of the facility and an overview of how things might go.

He is going back on Thursday to meet the medical oncologist.

Already I like the way they listen and respond to what they hear, not what they expected to hear. They listened to what I said in our phone conversation and were prepared with answers to the questions he as likely to have for them. They caught on that he likes his job and needs that part of his life to be factored into things.


I want him treated like an individual not like some plug-in response of 'here's what you have, here's what we do.' I want it understood that he is the customer, they are serving his needs, his best interests.

He is Kevin. He is not just another patient with rectal cancer. And I want him cared for by people who recognize that.

Another lesson learned--it's not just "get a second opinion" with cancer. It's bigger. The treatments may be pretty much the same for a particular cancer from place to place but the atmosphere, the facility and the people make a dramatic difference. Kevin will be spending many hours directly in treatment at a clinic. His comfort, his emotional well being and his reactions to the place/people have a huge impact on his response and recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: