Saturday, August 4, 2007

Prayers and Friends Who Listen

We sent 2 emails right away yesterday afternoon.

John and Elaina responded first with a phone call. John and Kevin go way way back and have that kind of friendship where they might not get one another called for several months but they just pick up where they left off the time before. John and Elaina were beyond great. They listened. A lot. And shared some information they had picked up through their experience with Elaina's mom and cancer. And listened some more. Offered their prayers and support.

Father Andy called a little later. Andy's picked me up more times than I can count. Our phone calls are usually a little one sided. He needs to talk and I listen a lot or I need to talk and he listens a lot. Tonight he listened a lot.

I'm not as good with prayer as Kevin is; I don't really get it. But Andy knows this and always offers to cover those prayers I can't quite get out myself. And when John and Elaina say they're praying for you, they're praying for you. It's not a commitment they make lightly.

The prayers are great, the knowledge especially strengthens Kevin. The listening was incredible though. John, Elaina and Andy listened while we bounced through an array of thoughts, worries and possibilities.

The prayers will help us through it long term. The listening makes it bearable now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: