Thursday, July 30, 2009

Oh the Places You'll Go...

Kevin's been away all week for business. My first week of staying alone since I moved here. Used to love the alone evenings when he traveled and I was still working. Twelve hour days with a boatload of busy toddlers and preschoolers has a way of making you appreciate quiet. That really deep quiet of alone.

A week's worth of 24/7 alone quiet is a little more disconcerting.

So I've explored a few places that I have seldom or never been since moving here.

The dumpster. I do believe this is the first time I've taken out the trash since I moved here. I can see the reality of why I've avoided this place even though the lie I used to tell myself was that it was good for Kevin to get some fresh air into those chemotherapy infused cells.

The Forbidden Closet. Followed closely by the power switch on the vacuum cleaner. Things I've rarely seen. I'm keeping that door closed in the future. Vacuuming is over-rated anyway. I saw things in that closet that I haven't seen since Sweeney had to give up garage occupancy at our house.

***note to self. never trust a man when he says he'll "take care of it" if "it" involves the disposal of any of his tools, tape, nuts, bolts, screws, jars of general crap and unrecognizable bits of wire and twine***

Under the bed in the guestofficeexercisesurplusjunk room. Wow. I am never again going to doubt the man's ability to pack after seeing the vast quantities of stuff he's stowed under one puny queen sized bed.

The Storage Shed. There are spiders in there. At least one of which I am certain starred in a Harry Potter movie. Bad place.

The drive-thru feed & seed barn. Sure I've been there before as a passenger, but never before have I had the heady experience of being in the driver's seat and placing the order. Oh the power!

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!
You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
--Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: