Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Love Techonology

The ever so favored by women "annual." The girl at the desk even called it that when she scheduled next year's an entire year in advance. "Do you want to schedule your annual now?"

Took me a minute to think that one through. My idea of "annual" doctor visit involves decades between not twelve short months.

The woman's annual check up is full of stuff we endure and men think is nothing compared to them having to stand sideways and cough while someone watches. We used to at least be able to feel a little equality knowing men were eventually going to have to endure a friendly DRE by their doctors. And now damn if they haven't incorporated a similar maneuver into our annual exams!

"And you're doing this why?" "To check your uterus and ovaries." "I think we need to talk about geography..."

My punishment reward for skipping the April D & C was another endometrial biopsy. It's just as well to have that biopsy sneak up on you so you're not pre-planning how miserable it's going to feel.

If men had uteruses they would be put to sleep for these biopsies. For a week.

After a chat with the NP, I caved and scheduled the D & C. They get you in a weak moment when what you're thinking is, "Good. No more endo. biopsy" instead of the obvious, "Holy Crap, another D & C." The helpful scheduler pushed it ahead on the calendar because of the 4 month lapse since April. And because she knew I was already thinking of reasons to cancel.

FWIW, I think "Better safe than sorry" is a pointless phrase and I'll probably have more to say about it later even though I've agreed to the D & C now.

I did get one neat tidbit out of the morning. A website where I can input my pertinent data and get the results of my PAP online. Now that's cool. No waiting for a phone call. No listening to someone else read the highlights and wondering just how interpretive their account might be.

No talking to a real person. No encounter. I love technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: