Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Marked For Healing

Day Two...I'm still approaching this with a "winter over" mentality. Some people spend the winters in Florida or Arizona. I--and our houseguest from hell, cancer,--are wintering over in Cincinnati. Or thereabouts.

Boxes and homesteading aside, the daily reminder of why I'm really here is the trip to the clinic for Kevin's radiation treatment. Radiation is usually considered the "no brainer" side of cancer treatment. Doesn't come with the fast and obvious baggage of chemotherapy, it's quick, it's painless on a treatment by treatment basis...15 minutes in and out the door of the clinic.

My mother instilled in me many moons ago that anything which seems too good to be true, probably is. I don't believe for a minute that radiation is going to be our new best friend.

He gets "zapped," as he puts it, from 4 angles each time--each location being marked on his body with permanent felt marker dots and crosses that are covered by clear tape. Then there are the intersecting lines drawn to further narrow the field of treatment. Of all the things which have visibly happened to him, this temporary tattooing of his body leaves me the most uneasy.

It's such a tangible sign that something is going on in there.

And it's more nerve wracking to NOT see what is going on with his body. Chemotherapy leaves a quick and visible imprint that lets him easily chart "how" he's doing. Radiation's footprint is more subtle and sneaks in more slowly.

I think I've gotten a handle on those Xs, Os and intersecting lines though.

I remember his anointing last August, before surgery. Marked by the blessed oil and prayer, he not only survived, he thrived.

I try to embrace the mindset of this being a technological anointing. Once again, he is marked for healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: