Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Day Three aka Wednesday

Day Three. When I used to take a week off work and stay here in Ohio, Day Three was my YIKES! day because it meant the week off was half gone. Today I woke up and thought "Day three....DAY THREE" I've got to quit counting the days as if they are going to use up and life will get back to my formerly comfortable concept of 'normal.'

We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto. To borrow the current culture phrase of the day, this is the new normal.

I'm playing hookey from the boxes and sorting and putting away of stuff. That's all I can call it. Stuff. Thirty years of accumulated stuff being culled from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment.

My organized system for packing and labeling the boxes worked well in Indiana when I was the only one on the production line. It took a nose dive when we started loading the moving truck and suffered further during the unloading. So much for my plans of bedroom boxes in the bedroom, kitchen boxes in the kitchen....you get the concept.

We have a cleared place to eat, sleep and we can each reach our computers. As far as Keivn is concerned we can now exist indefinitely.

Today I made a couple of discoveries. The first one was Kevin's unique file/storage method for 17 years of tax files. Plastic bags, brown paper bags, gift bags, shopping bags and manila envelopes. All shoved into one another then shoved into the darkest recesses of a closet. I have condensed the archives into 2 well labeled boxes and returned them to their dark dwelling place. Apparently the 4. 5 years of living weekdays on his own gave Kevin a false sense of safety regarding how I react to chaos and disorganization. Or maybe he thought I would be so busy unpacking what I brought with me that I wouldn't have time to take a look at what was already here. Anyway, in sympathy to the fact that he has to adjust to having me around as surely as I have to adjust to being around, I've granted him Immunity on this one, for which he is very grateful.

Which leads to my second discovery of today. The hall closet. I saw the fear in Kev's face as he glanced at it during my diatribe and instruction regarding the tax records. I'm not sure how it's happened that in 4 years I've never been in there, but it's clear he doesn't want me venturing in that direction now.

I'm off now to pick him up at work for our second trip of the day to the cancer center. Radiation treatment a couple of hours ago, a visit with Dr. Skinner in 20 minutes or so. She wants to double check his chemotherapy medicine before he begins taking it. I'll write more about all of that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: