Friday, January 18, 2008

Sandwiches and Surgeons

We are in the hospital here in tiny town. The very place we were warned not to go by numerous locals.

That was my one question this morning for Dr. Skinner. "Is this the BEST place for him to be; we will go into the city if you think he'll get better care."

We ran into Dr. Ling as we got to the clinic this morning. She was surprised at how much worse Kevin was from yesterday and went to talk to Dr. Skinner.

Dr. Ling came back and did a cautious wind-up...he may need to be hospitalized...he may need surgery...this may require a colostomy. I think she was treading lightly to see how I would handle the news.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've already considered all of that. And talked to Kevin. Truth is, he's too damn sick to care. All he wants is relief, however it comes.

Dr. Skinner was less cautious but still careful...are you ok with....

Yes. If this is a good place for him. She assured me she wouldn't sent him anyplace she wouldn't go herself.

So here we are. We came straight over from the cancer center. Dr. Skinner arranged to have him admitted without going through the ER. A room was waiting when we arrived. I am able to stay with him and have no intention of going home at this point.

Kevin is no better really, but he feels better. A combination of pain relieving drugs and a nasogastric tube to take some of the pressure away has given him considerable relief. He is alternatively sleeping and asking me questions. A lot of this week seems to be pretty blurry for him.

Coming with no "regular" doctor of his own, he's been assigned to the 'hospitalist,' a sort of generic doctor who sees patients without their own doctors. The hospitalist was a personable woman who has called in a surgeon to evaluate things.

My assbackward optimism of having a plan paid off--I was able to produce colonoscopy, surgical and CT reports from the depths of my computer bag. This has gone a long way toward getting things moving quickly.

The only thing I forgot was food. Since radiation is minutes a day and we weren't doing IV chemotherapy there are no snacks in the bag! No supper last night, no breakfast today and no lunch is making me cranky. With Kevin resting comfortably my mind is now noticing the growlings of hunger.

I don't want to risk missing the surgeon by taking the time to locate the hospital cafeteria.

Kevin's friend, Bob, called from work. He wanted to come over. He is bringing me a sandwich.

I don't pray for sandwiches. At least I hadn't gotten to that point yet. This probably falls within the range of my life is a lot of coincidence theory (aka 'shit happens'). But I'm open to the possibility that sometimes God meets our needs before we get around to asking.

I'm waiting now for Bob, the sandwich and the surgeon. I hope the sandwich gets here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: