Monday, February 11, 2008

God's Will in the Details of Life

God's will.

The topic continues in our household. It's probably a topic in any Christian household dealing with a potentially fatal illness and the accompanying misery of treatment.

Kevin battles with this--how does his own mortality connect with God's will?

Kevin, in his black and white battle, would like answers. Why does he have cancer? God's will? What should he do about his cancer treatment? God's will?

He battled this same decision last fall before beginning chemotherapy. Is God giving him another chance to see His will in this matter? A faith-filled kick in the ass disguised as a constricted bowel and a chance to reconsider the rightness of treatment?

I don't know why he has cancer. A lot of people tell me it's "God's Plan." I think we all know how I feel about that line of thinking.

Kev's cancer is more likely the result of him not forwarding one of those email chain letter to his 15 best friends AND the person who sent it to him in the first place.

Forget the cumulative effects of 50+ years of a crappy diet and hostile digestive tract. Think about the accumulated curses and missed blessings of 12 or so years of unforwarded email chain letters.

Mostly, though, I don't particularly care about the why of Kevin's cancer, beyond the thought of eliminating whatever in our diet, environment might have extended the invitation to cancer to take up residence deep inside Kevin's body.

He has it. It just is. And I want him to not have it.

Try as I do to understand, I can't embrace the attitude of The God's Willers when it comes to Kevin's cancer. I don't believe He willed Kevin's cancer into being. I don't believe He has a will--a right or wrong response--about whether Kevin continues treatment or not. On any morally neutral question.

I believe God is in the details, large and small, of our lives. I don't believe he is the details. I don't believe he arranges them, micromanages them.

That He could is another discussion entirely. Knowing is not the same as willing in my simple understanding.

And, just to be certain we've covered all the bases in this game, expect your inboxes to be flooded with 12 years worth of email chain letters. Forward each one to your 15 best friends, strong women, tireless public servants, under-appreciated parents or amazing pets. AND the person who sent it to you.

Don't break the chain. FOLFOX, Fractionated Radiation and the loss of large amounts of your colon may occur if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: