Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Different Optimism

Being an assbackward optimist is a pain in the ass.

Living with an assbackward optimist is probably a bigger pain in the ass.

Kevin had a check up with the surgeon today.

He says Kevin is healing wonderfully. Kev's still sore and tired but he's walking over a mile each day and already back at work via phone and computer. He's good to ride and drive if he wants provided we stop every 90 minutes or so to let him move and stretch.

Dr. Francis reiterated that with no lymph node involvement Kevin did not need additional treatment. CT scans every 3 to 6 months for a while and yearly colonoscopies. I asked if the oncologist would agree and he assured us that she will.

Kevin is over the top thrilled with this news. A few more weeks of healing and he sees life drifting back to our old comfortable version of normal.

I hate being the negative one--especially after being the bad news bearer for most of last month--but I'm not convinced the oncologist will see it the same as the surgeon. Maybe I've just been reading too much.

My assbackward optimism again. Prepare for the worst news and celebrate all the more if it's good news. I'm willing to be wrong this time. I want to be wrong.

Kevin snapped about my need to rain on his parade. I know he wants to put the last 4 weeks behind us and move on.

Sometimes we just see optimism differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: