Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For...

I felt good about Kevin's surgeon before we ever met him. Aside from several people giving him rave reviews, I had researched his educational background, his specialty training and his work experience.

I thought doing the same for the oncologist might make me feel more confident. I was hoping to find information about research work she's participated in or maybe a paper she had published.

Be careful what you wish for; you might get it.

I did find something online that the oncologist had written.

A testimonial. For a Bioelectric Shield. This is a pendant with a crystal in it that balances out your something or other and your whatchamacallit.

"I no longer have to take medication for headaches, because they are now infrequent. I am more alert when attending large meetings. On a recent business trip I had no fatigue and was able to go to a four-hour meeting." -------, MD

The sales site for the bioelectric shield offers several versions for sale. The price goes up as you add more expensive metals to your shield. And the promise of benefits increases as well. 15 to 20% more protection with the upgrade model over the classic, basic, model.

The site also suggests who should have a bioelectric shield. Everyone. Babies, pets...a little gem about some cancer patients having peaceful deaths thanks to the calming effects of the bioelectric shield.

I am not feeling more confident.

Realistically I know that doctors, like all of us, are free to believe in and utilize whatever alternative medicines they wish for themselves. And it's not like she's handing us pamphlets on the thing.

But she endorsed it as a doctor. Not just a person who found success with the thing. As a doctor. MD.

I guess I should have been more specific in my hope of finding something the oncologist had published.

I want a doctor with experience that benefits Kevin. Call me selfish.

At least we can be confident that a headache won't keep the doctor from being able to pay attention to his 3 1/2 hour treatments. She's good for 4 hours with the Bioelectric Shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: