Sunday, September 16, 2007

Prayers in the Mail

I got a package today from Shannon. She's the chaplain at a correctional facility in Washington state.

We've never met in person. We're an online connection, a cyber-friendship.

Shannon is a strong and faith filled woman. She lives her faith in every aspect of her life.

Shannon immediately took my request for prayers to the men at Shelton who embraced the idea of praying for someone by name and need. Shannon explained that there is sometimes little the men feel they can do to help others--and many of them have a very real desire to help--so being able to pray specifically for someone's intentions means a great deal to them. They embrace the effort whole heartedly.

I mentioned the growing stack of note cards for the pocket of Kevin's blanket. In no time at all I had email from her, "Prayers coming in the mail!"

Today the mailman brought a wonderful package full of prayer and humor from Shannon and the men.

The prayers are poignant and simple. There is evidence of a strong devotion to Mary with many petitions offerred to Our Lady.

The humor is classic "You're in my prayers, Kevin. Rectal cancer must be a real pain in the ass."

Their own prayer needs are equally poignant. "Please pray for my wife and child. They're alone." "My grandmother is dying. I can't be there. Please pray for both of us." "Please pray for me. I did bad things and I want to change.'

These gifts are just what I know Kevin needs through these months. The gift and strength of prayer from someone humbled in ways he can only imagine. Strong in faith in ways he can aspire to. And the opportunity to return the gift through remembering their prayer needs.

Thank you, Shannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: