Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Can't Buy Me Love...

...but $4.99 can buy me enough baked chicken for three meals and a cashier who calls me "Honey." I knew I had been home alone too long when I wanted to go back in the store for something, anything...just so I could hear an in-the-flesh person call me "Honey" again.

I considered slipping her a five spot and asking her to say my name out loud.

Kevin is out of town for another week of leadership training. Being on my own 24/7, no job to go to, in a town where I know almost no one, is making me crazy. I've gone through enjoying the silence to talking to myself to talking to the plants. To hearing them talk back.

(And don't remind me of those chaotic years of children living at home, & daycare kids all day when I used to wish for some extended time alone...As my mind rolls the tape of my mother saying... Be careful what you wish for....Be careful what you wish for...you might get it.)

2 comments:

  1. ok i am officially lost lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Cass! I haven't assimilated very well after moving to a new state last year. I know a face or two in this tiny town but really don't know anyone. When my husband travels for extended times, I can go for days on end without seeing/speaking to another living being. Occasionally I have to go to the store just to make human contact!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: