Thursday, January 1, 2009

Auld Lang Syne Revisited

Deja-vu.

Kevin is sick. All of the signs of some nasty flu or virus thing. All of the signs of a bowel constriction.

He's in a lot of pain and says, when I can get him to say anything, that it feels like the now familiar pain of scar induced constriction.

Normally I would lean toward the flu/virus side. But 'normal' was redefined by cancer this past year.

I can't help but think of last New Year's Eve and morning which we spent in an emergency room with the early warning signs of a bowel constriction. One that sent him back to the hospital, seriously ill, two weeks later.

Although it was certainly an interesting collection of people gathered in the ER that night, I don't want a repeat visit on this first day of 2009.

So it's back to the question of when is sick, just sick and not a premonition of some awful event in the works?
I had hoped that the months since he finished treatment would have brought some confidence in this area. Instead I realize that the beast of cancer anxiety, though tamed on a day to day basis, is by no means eliminated.

Auld Lang Syne, times gone by, Revisited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: