Thursday, May 8, 2008

It's in the Details

We're having company tomorrow. Our first real guests beyond our kids. And I've never met them. Kevin's college roommate and his wife.

Those first three lines would normally motivate me into sleepless action for the next 18 hours. There would be fresh flowers on the entry table, cutesy handtowels hanging in the bathroom and newly ironed sheets on the bed in the guest room. For guests who are not spending the night. I would have changed the sheets.

Just in case.

I made two lists--I like lists. They are at least the equivalent of having a plan and we all know how much I believe in having a plan. Marked off lists are even better; the tangible proof of a plan in motion.

The grocery shopping list is completed. It has a satisfying red line across each item.

The "do" list is suffering from neglect. The only red lined items on it are "make grocery list" and "grocery shopping."

And I'll admit I added both after the fact so something would be marked off the "do" list.

A year ago this would have sent me into a panic. I think. I never actually let a list be so undone so late into a plan and I'm only guessing it would have caused me to unravel.

The new me in our new normal isn't too worried. The essential things will be essentially done. The non-essential things might get a look over. And it will all fall into place one way or another.

It's a little frightening to live inside this new me. I keep waiting for some sort of "OHMYGOSH" moment to zap me into action. Maybe in the final hour before our guests arrive some sort of frenzied action will take over, but so far it's looking good for a stay of execution for the dust bunnies.

I think cancer has been the ultimate "OHMYGOSH" moment in our lives so far and it's put the details of life in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: