Sunday, June 29, 2008

When a Door Opens, at Least Take a Peek Inside

I'm still assimilating what we've learned in the past 11 months.

I would like to be able to pour out a lot of spiritual insight and how it was earned. (Typographical note--I meant to type "learned" and managed to drop the 'l'--seemed appropriate so I left it as "earned." Kevin and I worked hard, in our respective roles, for every day of this.)

I've got miles to go before I "get it" but a few things have occurred to me in recent days.

Looking way back to the day Kevin was diagnosed and the immediate early days afterwards, I've realized if a door unexpectedly opens-however you believe such things happen; be it God, karma, fate or good business connections-don't close it without at least a look inside.

Within hours of Kevin's diagnosis we had two separate--completely chance--experiences of having the same medical oncologist recommended to us. The first was in a phone call I took from a woman I have never met who wanted to purchase a photo from me. I explained why I wasn't available to meet that day and was given a wealth of information she had gained through personal family experience with cancer care in Lafayette. The second was when Kevin and I ran into a long ago neighbor who had worked in both hospitals in town. Both persons recommended the surgeon and radiation oncologist names we had from the hospital on Friday morning. And both, without saying a single negative word about the medical oncologist suggested by the hospital, offered another name with glowing recommendations.

We talked about canceling the appointment with the first oncologist and scheduling with the second. Weeks later when realizing the first office wasn't really a great fit, we talked again about calling the other oncologist. In the end we gave in to the overwhelming tide of adapting our lives to cancer and did nothing.

Seeing it now with hindsight and the experiences we've had both here in Ohio and in Lafayette, I would tell anyone else to go and meet with the second oncologist and tour the facility before making any decisions.

The treatment plan probably would have been the same in both places. But cancer care involves many many hours in treatment and office appointments. The physical facility, the attitude and number of the staff, the location, the hours, the environment are all very important because of the amount of time and the emotional impact involved with cancer care.

That's the insight of the day: When a door opens, at least take a peek inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: