Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gene and Ed

"I want my funeral to be a happy, joyous occasion, not a time for sadness...I'll be watching from heaven and remembering all the good times."---Genie Yeoman

And so we celebrated Genie's life today with her family and many friends at St. Tom's. I believe everyone felt her there with us.

She would be pleased, I think. There were tears, but there were many smiles and it was all mixed with the joy of being together and remembering her.

I watched Ed off and on throughout the morning. He and Genie were married for 55 years. And he's been her caregiver in these recent times. Just as Kevin has this special identity with Genie, forged through a winter of illness and prayers, I feel a similar kinship with Ed as caregiver.

Ed has done well and he's shown me the way many times over. I admire him tremendously.

Kevin is very tired from the travel today. We left home this morning at 5 and returned around 9 tonight. He was in bed and asleep within minutes of walking through the door. I hope his dreams are filled with Genie's jokes, her stories and her smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: