Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Same Day, Part Two

I love it when he feels better.

This morning he busted open a knuckle when he caught the bedframe while making the bed. (Don't judge me, cookie, just because my guy makes the bed. If you're keeping track, he also sweeps the floors, takes out the trash and kills spiders. Some people have a pre-nup because of financial concerns, ours was negotiated around housework. Point #1...The last person out of the bed for the day, makes the bed...Point #9 ...Kevin doesn't cook meals that require more than one pan. Bed making and floor sweeping fall somewhere in between.)

With his low platelet count, a scraped knuckle bleeds copiously, warranting a major bandage effort. He headed off to work with his hand bandaged as if there had been a chainsaw mishap not a scrape with the headboard.

Fast forward to this evening when he arrives home from work. We are sitting outside and I notice the bandage on his hand.

"You've bled through your bandage!"
"Hmmm," he says. And he looks at it more closely. He sniffs it.
Sniffs it??
I urge him to let me clean it up and put on a new bandage. Infection is an ongong risk with his lowered blood counts.
He waves off my concerns. I'm getting frustrated. Patients on a FOLFOX regimine are warned about taking care of their hands and feet.
A few minutes pass before he says,out of the blue, "It's chocolate."
"Huh?"
"It's not blood. It's chocolate. Chocolate chip. I might have been a little messy. I don't get to eat cookies all that often these days."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: