Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Loophole of a Cure

Friends and family often ask about Kevin's cancer being in "remission" after treatment.

It's not a word we hear from his doctors.

His doctors talk about when we can consider him cured.

I want him to not have cancer. No signs. No symptoms.

Ever again.

Do I want to know his cancer is cured?

Maybe. Not so much.

There's a whole negative loophole here.

After a certain amount of cancer free time (5.6 years, in the current precision measurement), he is considered cured. But it could still come back. Not likely. But possible.

I figure there's only one way to know he's cured of cancer. And that's when he doesn't obviously have cancer and he dies of something else.

So do I want to know he's cured of cancer?

Not as much as I want him to not have cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: