Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Third Day

Nurse Pam will be here this morning and Kevin will be relieved of the chemotherapy pump.

Day Three of treatment week is Kevin's Day of Deliverance.

Just coming off the week of Easter, thoughts of Jesus being raised on the third day were on my mind. Then I remembered there are a lot of "third day" events in scripture.

Jonah and the whale for instance. Jonah tries to avoid what God asks of him. He tries to run away, only to be caught in a terrible storm and thrown overboard. Jonah spends 3 days and nights praying in the belly of a big fish. He realizes God could have ended his life but has chosen to spare him. He's grateful and ready to do as God as instructed him--go into Ninevah to preach repentance. On the third day the whale spits out a shaken but intact and grateful Jonah who goes on to answer God's call.

To be honest, I think 3 days in a whale's gut would have left me pissed. And I know there are times when 3 days of chemotherapy treatment leaves Kevin angry and more than a little disappointed.

I know he often wonders if he chose the wrong path. Or thinks, "I tried to do the right thing--for my family, for myself--and THIS is what I get?"

If cancer is the storm in Kevin's life, chemotherapy is his whale. It's really not a great place to be but in the end the goal is for Kevin to emerge--shaken, true, but largely intact. And changed. We'll both be forever changed by these months.

I think I've established that I don't believe God "gave Kevin cancer for a reason." Nor do I believe that we can pray Kevin's cancer away. I don't believe God works that way. I don't literally believe a whale swallowed a fellow named Jonah and kept him hostage for a three day marathon of sea faring prayer before regurgitating him intact on dry land.

I believe God knew Kevin would develop cancer and He knows how cancer will play out in our lives.

I believe prayer delivers us the grace and determination to make good things out of bad as God has promised.

I believe there is a message of hope, willingness, gratitude and mercy in the story of Jonah and the whale.

For Kevin life right now is a chronilogical three day count down every other week. The biblical accounts of "three days" remind me that though this literal time of three days will eventually be gone from our lives, the meaning of "three days," of waiting for a sign that things will be well, will continue for years as Kevin goes into the observation period after treatment.


I don't think it is a coincidence that Kevin's treatment brings him to the point of misery and then relief on the third day. I think it is a subtle but real reminder that this, too, will pass. That there is deliverance and it's found in the mercy and compassion of a loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: