Thursday, November 8, 2007

Two Worlds Collide

I understand George Costanza's fear.

Kevin's two worlds collided in our house today.

I've never really had much contact with "work Kevin." I get "husband Kevin." Even if I'm visiting Kevin at work I don't get "work Kevin." I had concluded that "work Kevin" was much the same guy as "husband Kevin."

Not so.

I should have known better. I've had hints. A slip of a conversational f-bomb when he's hung out with the wrong boys on a too long project at work. An rare bark of directions instead of requests or suggestions.

Work Kevin showed up this afternoon. The kids were napping. I was working in my office, Kevin was next door in his office on a conference call. "Sitting in on someone else's meeting" was how he put it.

With the speakers on, I could hear all sides of the discussion. And it was obviously going in circles with everyone talking and no one listening.

Enter "work Kevin" who suddenly spoke up out of nowhere and took over the meeting he was just "sitting in on." Completely hijacked it. Started giving orders and assignments. Using his loud voice (when did he get that??) and not letting anyone interrupt (say what?)

I had to get up and look into the room to convince myself it was really Kevin speaking. Our girls would never believe me.

I scribbled a note, slipped into Kevin's office and slid it across his desk.

"Wow. Let's play "boss" tonight. I'll let you lead."

He stifles laughter. Oue eyes meet and I know things will be ok in this collision of worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: