Monday, November 5, 2007

Cycle 2-1; Warm Drinks

Chemotherapy #3.

Kev was dragging his heels about going today. It made me sorry I hadn't scheduled things so I could go with him. Leaving someone in the daycare for an entire day is a little hard for the kids and the sub so Kate arranged her day to be at the clinic with her dad.

Each time it gets a little more difficult for Kevin to get himself into the clinic. He says the smell of the place makes him want to vomit when he walks into the infusion area. He doesn't want to share that bit of information with the doctor because he doesn't want to be pushed into taking another drug to control that nauseous anticipation.

He doesn't ever vomit; just feels the nausea out there somewhere on the rim. I'm very proud of how hard he's worked to overcome the anxiety nausea and drug nausea without taking additional drugs. We both think it's kept him healthier overall. And we agreed that he would take something when he decided he couldn't manage it on his own. So far he hasn't gotten there.

Kevin spends the day texting the waiting periods to me.....my phone beeps a text alert..."waiting for chemo drugs"....30 minutes later..."still waiting"...20 minutes later another text alert...."infusion started"......3 hours later....."waiting for someone to set up pump"....

In the meantime we deal with the real-time aspects of chemotherapy. The cold sensitivity is strong in Kev's mouth and fingers now. I get a text message...."do you think I'm the only patient here who gets Oxaliplatin? I mean, wouldn't they have some NOT refrigerated drinks if there's more than just me?"

I text Kate to tell her I've put some drinks--not refrigerated--in her dad's computer bag. THIS is something we can fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: