Sunday, November 11, 2007

Re-evaluating My Treasure

"For Where Your Treasure Is, There Also Will Your Heart Be."--Matthew 6:21

Couldn't sleep tonight. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of closing the daycare, leaving our home, our family and our friends to move to Ohio.

When I let my mind take off with the idea of moving it's easy to get caught in the idea that I am leaving behind much of what I treasure, much of what defines who I am. My job in the daycare, our daughters and grandson, the children we have come to be so close to, friendships that have lasted through decades, St. Toms, a growing local photography recognition.

And then there are the things. The stuff accumulated in thirty years of making a home and raising a family. Culling it down to a manageable level sometimes feels like a choice between the memories that have shaped my life and practicality about the future.

It feels like I am leaving behind my heart.

Then I think about Kevin and I. What we have always been for one another, what he needs from me right now.

We are at a different place in life than we were as parents raising our family. A different place than we were even a few short months ago.

I see treasure in a different way than in the years of our youth, or as parents or even recently as emerging "empty nesters." Cancer forces me to remember what is just stuff and what is eternal treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: