Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet Potatoes and Native Americans

I'm off to Indianapolis this morning to see Joshua's class Thanksgiving show. He tells me he hopes to portray a "Native American."

Schools are very politically correct theses days; Joshua chastised me for saying "Indian." I mentioned it in an email to an older friend. She responded that she remembers when "Indian" was the politically correct term, replacing a host of other, less kind, words.

She also swears one of her great grandsons had the role of a sweet potato last year in his first grade Thanksgiving production. His big line was "I yam what I yam."

I had considered there might be someone portraying a rock, but a sweet potato?

So I am off to cheer on our aspiring Native American, sweet potato...whatever. Like a good grandma, I recognize the kid as having immense talent and I'm certain he will have a headliner part. Something that really showcases his gifts. Like the feast turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: