Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Just In Case

Just when I think we're beyond the whole costume/Halloween thing, Kate comes home. She raided the garage and my sewing stash a few days ago to work on her costume. Today she dropped in to show off her (magnificient if I may say so) results.

She's doing the downtown Halloween music scene as a raven. James and the band have a show at the Brew Co. and Kate plans to join the costumed revelers.
The daycare kids are pumped about trick-or treating. Even though we had a party here just days ago, they'll all show up tonight in costume. They saw me fill the candy bowl today; they know the SWAG is good here on October 31st. Usually a few former daycare families bring their older kids by and it's a nice little family reunion.
Josh called to tell about his Halloween haul. He and Landon made the neighborhood scene. The neighbors, Mac and Nuala, who are every bit of 80 years old, dressed up to hand out candy to the kids.

I asked Josh if he would save some tootsie rolls for me. His mom called later, laughing. They were trick-or-treating a friends house and Josh noticed he had gotten a handful of tootsie rolls from them. He very politely asked if he could have some of the other type of candy in their bowl too, explaining,"My grandma takes all of the tootsie rolls."

Kevin made his annual candy purchase "just in case." He's been buying a huge bag of candy bars for 5 years worth of "just in case" a trick-or-treater stops in. I'll be picking the wrappers out of the side pocket on his car for weeks to come.

And me? The neighborhood kids cleaned out the candy stash two hours ago. I shut the porch lights off, taped the blinds shut and hunkered down with the TV on mute.

It's just me and a bowlful of M & Ms and Tootsie Rolls. It's possible a few brave souls will go ahead and knock on my darkened door so I saved the M & Ms and Tootsie Rolls. For them. Just in case..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: