Thursday, September 3, 2009

She's Turning 50...

...this month. Ten decades. Half a century.
I was going to post something about turning 50 each day this month. Something fitting, appropriate, for a woman firmly clinging to her forties turning fifty.
And then life intervened in that dark comic way it does, I found myself with a job and "HolyCrapI'mTurningFifty" took a backseat.
It's amazing how much less time there is for ruminating on the big moments in life when you're working through the minutes in each day.
In any case, I need to mark these final days in my forties. I considered running amok and blaming a mid-life crisis. I've noticed a person can get away with a lot of general dumbass-edness by invoking the midlife crisis clause.
But the truth is, I don't have the freakin' energy to run amok. Not enough to even jog amok.
I got a job, coincidentally--or not so coincidentally if you happen to be my friend Father John, who often reminds me "there are no coincidences in God's plan"--on the first day of my month of turning 50. The first job I've ever had where I'm not the owner of the business. Not even the a boss. Father John may be on to something. It's possible God thinks I need to learn that I'm not the boss. (I wish He was a little more clear on this one--I see a lot of situations that could use a good boss...)
So here I am with a significant birthday looming and a still-has-the-new-smell-on-it job and I'm still wondering 'what will I do when I grow up?' I haven't exactly had a firm goal in life. Even now I have trouble nailing the "what" part of what I would do with my life if I had a do-over granted.
Which isn't likely.
All of which leads to my almost fifty year old wisdom for today:
There won't be enough time to do all the things you think you would a) like to do. b) be good at doing. c) ought to do. So choose wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: