Monday, August 11, 2008

Redemption

The house phone still doesn't ring often here. But when it does ring these days I feel less of that nervous apprehension of "what now" if I see the hospital or a doctor's office popping up on the caller ID.

The cancer center called today. They were following up on Kevin's colonoscopy from last week. Wanted to know what the doctor found and how things are generally going for Kevin.

I'm pleased. This is why we came here for his treatment. This kind of follow-up and communication. This kind of care.

This one moment--the call that says 'we just want to know how things went' and I get to respond 'really well' and then I get to tell Kevin some good news from the clinic--makes up for each of those crappy calls I answered and each time I had to hit Kevin with more painful news this last year.

This is my redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: