Friday, August 29, 2008

New Territory

Kev's found himself on the other side of the patient/doctor/caregiver triangle recently. I'm not sure it's as easy as he thought it might be and I know it's not bringing the balance of power he expected.

That at least keeps me entertained so I'm less cranky about this week's 4 visits to my new doctor's office. Peggy was as good as her word and got me in to see someone within days of our last meeting.

Four appointments this week is a lot of intrusion into my space. Literally. The new doctor is a gynecologist.

After an endometrial biopsy earlier this week, I had a "surgery consultation" with the doctor today and Kevin came along to meet her.

Gynecology offices aren't made for men. They're very pink and full of very pink stuff.

Whereas I found the 3 dimensional pop-apart rendering of the stomach, intestines and rectum in Dr. Francis' office very intriguing--and was quite happy to pull the pieces out and try to fit them back together, Kevin seemed a little discomfited by a similar rendering of uterus, ovaries and vagina in Dr. Lovell's office. And he wasn't having any part of puzzle play with it.

I think he thought it was vaguely naughty to play with the thing. Which made me laugh all the more.

I pointed out that his butt was completely uncharted territory for me and I adapted quickly to the language and topigrahical discussion. I remember Dr. Francis and I doing a couple of impromptu tag-team sketches of the critical parts of Kev's ass as Dr. Francis was explaining the surgery and healing process to us.

One would think nearly 2 decades of marriage would bring Kevin a certain comfortable familiarity with the language and inner workings of female geography but not so.

I was apparently wrong about us having explored, in graphic medical detail, all of the taboo subjects (and areas) in this last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: