Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Job Hunting

I have a job interview tomorrow. My first one. Ever.

Kevin points out that in 25 years of daycare I had many interviews with prospective clients, which is true. Although it says something about my mindset that I always thought I was interviewing them as much as they were interviewing me.


So, at a later rather than sooner time in life, I am job hunting. It was always my intention to get a job once Kevin was out of treatment. He finished weekly treatment about the time I was having to see one doctor or another each week myself which further delayed any job searching on my part.

I pulled together a resume--sad little thing that it is--and began looking at ads a few weeks ago. With Kevin taking a fat paycut (which becomes more palatable when compared to losing his job entirely), my feeling of needing a job has become more urgent.

I'm interviewing at a local medical office tomorrow. They need a front office assistant and it looks like something I can do; something I would enjoy doing. The woman who called said they had over 100 applications and they're interviewing about 20 people.

So I feel good having made that cut. I'm not terribly hopeful of landing the job. DHL is closing it's airpark here and 8000 jobs are being lost. That leaves a pretty big pool of people out there looking at jobs, many with more office and real world job experience than me. I'm not sure how my daycare or graphics design work is going to translate into the real time world of a job outside of self-employment.

I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: